As the end of the school year approaches, many of our teachers are getting ready to clean out their classrooms. For some, this is part of annual preparations for the summer break. For those who are retiring, however, this end-of-year routine takes on special significance.
Along with our congratulations and best wishes, we want to offer some guidance for all teachers who are looking to re-house their classrooms supplies at this busy time of year.
As you may know, the original purpose of the Free Store for Teachers was to do exactly that – offer new life to gently used items. We hoped to ensure that supplies would not be wasted, or take up space in a landfill, while many of our students still had need of them.
These days, thanks to great support from the community, we are often able to stock brand new items in the Free Store, but that doesn’t mean we have no room for previously-used supplies that are still in good shape. We are absolutely thrilled to accept such donations, as long as they meet a few simple criteria:
– New or gently used school, office, and art supplies
– Non-disposable supplies – rulers, compasses, scissors, etc.
– Supplies that have had limited use – ‘like new’ highlighters, markers, etc.
– Books, games, puzzles with all pages or pieces
– Teaching materials that are still useable in a classroom (not outdated)
– Math and science manipulatives – Base 10 blocks, geoboards, science equipment, etc.
– Posters/bulletin board materials
– 3-ring binders that are in good condition (not written on, rings meet, rings open and close)
If you have any questions about whether an item is appropriate, you can always give us a call. Our website also provides information about other organizations that may be able to handle supplies that we cannot accept.
Thanks for another great year of service, teachers!