Introducing the Classroom Champions Project
As classrooms across Portland head out for the summer, Schoolhouse Supplies is already busy gearing up for the back-to-school season. While our Tools for Schools backpack giveaway program provides school supplies to most of the high-need schools we serve, there are two school communities that remain unsponsored, and still need our help. And so, we are introducing the Schoolhouse Supplies Classroom Champions project.
It’s all about serendipity.
It was a recent check-in with one of our longtime supporters, local small-business owner Kat Schon, of Portland Store Fixtures that inspired the new Classroom Champions project.
In the fall of 2007 Kat created a connection with a teacher at Harrison Park Elementary, a high-needs Portland Public School with 86% of students participating in the free or reduced lunch program. She began engaging in different ways to help support their classroom needs—after providing measuring tapes for a math unit and busses for fifth-grade classes to attend a field trip, she launched Sponsor a Teacher Today, to help educate and mobilize other small businesses to help our schools in need. As Kat notes, “Once we realized how easy it was for us to support a classroom and make a difference, we wanted to encourage other small, local businesses to get involved with the teachers in their community.”
Inspired by Kat’s vision, we’re proud to introduce the Schoolhouse Supplies Classroom Champions project to encourage other small businesses and individuals to join us in support of Harrison Park Elementary (SE Portland) and James John Elementary (North Portland), where more than 80% of families live at, or below, the poverty line.
A donation of $500 provides a backpack full of essential school supplies to an entire classroom, and will be recognized in the following ways:
- Recognition as an inaugural Classroom Champion on the Schoolhouse Supplies website, social media, and annual report
- Inclusion in a recognition plaque presented to the school community with backpack donations.
- Opportunity to earn additional shopping vouchers to the Free Store for Teachers for teachers at your sponsored school
- Opportunity to participate in our “Pack-a-Palooza” backpack packing and delivery parties (weeks of July 8-15; spots are limited) and/or other Schoolhouse Supplies volunteer opportunities
- Opportunity to engage with your sponsored school community through other events and programs on campus during the 2013-2014 school year
Become a Classroom Champion today by clicking here, and help us spread the word! If you have questions or other ideas on how you would like to engage in supporting these schools, feel free to contact Jen Barth, Executive Director, anytime!